Need some assistance

To: <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Need some assistance
From: "Andy Walker" <awtiger@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 13:59:46 -0600
Hey, guys:

Got a problem that I'm not sure how to solve because I'm not sure what I'm
missing.  All I know is that I am missing something.

I've got a Series I vintage racer that I'm getting close to finishing and I'm
down to attaching the intake and exhaust manifolds to the head.  The problem
is that the exhaust manifold (factory stock for a Series I) is thinner than
the intake manifold (factory stock for a Series I) where the two meet at the
"split" mounting hole on the side of the head.  In other words, the intake is
thicker there than the exhaust and, short of making some sort of a spacer for
it to take up the space on the exhaust manifold side, I'm at a loss as to what
to do.  The previous owner had a jamb nut there but it's been so long since
it's been together, I can't remember how he took up the slack (or if he did).
The factory parts manual shows some sort of a barrel nut there but it also
depicts both manifolds as being the same thickness.

What am I missing and how did this thing go together correctly from the
factory?  I DO NOT want to Mickey Mouse this as the rest of the car has been
assembled carefully and with a lot of thought.  Can someone help me out here?

Thanks in advance,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
B9006857LRX