Re: Rear end pinion bearing

To: Chris Mottram <c_mottram@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Rear end pinion bearing
From: Jan Servaites <jservaites@woh.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:19:58 -0700
Chris,
    I have never seen a bad pinion bearing, even when the gears were
ruined. Are you sure it's bad? You really never know what is bad until
you get in there to inspect everything.
A local Tiger owner & engine rebuilder mechanic (he's very good), sets
up all the Tiger & Alpine rear ends here in Dayton. To set up the
contact pattern & backlash will cost $100. Since you have a seriesV,
chances are you have a 4:22 ratio anyway, and you need that swapped out
with a 3:89 (or buy a new gear set from Rick & install). I recommend
that you pull the complete rear axle assembly and dip the housing&paint
it, install new seal & gaskets and rebuild it correctly. I can do all
that for $250, plus $100 labor for the gear setup. You could buy a gear
set from Rick and have it shipped here. I have housings that are dipped
& basically ready to paint.

Jan Servaites (Dayton OH - The Birthplace of Aviation)

              http://www.wright-brothers.org/

              "I am convinced that human flight is
              possible and practical."
                             -- Wilbur Wright, 1899