Re: Idiot breathing

To: lauri lehtinen <lauri.lehtinen@pp.nic.fi>
Subject: Re: Idiot breathing
From: Keith Johnson <keiths55@bigpond.net.au>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 21:59:33 +1000
The PCV valve is designed to shut off under high vacuum in the intake
manifold. That would be under de-acceleration or when idling.
The small amount of extra air over the normal operating range should not
affect the operation of the constant depression type of carb, or in fact any
type of carb.
Carburettors mostly work on a volume mixing system more air going through
means more fuel, the CD style maintain a constant pressure drop across the
carb by varying the venturi size. The movement of the diaphragm or piston
also varying the jet size to keep the mixture correct.
Leaving other openings in the crankcase area would not affect the operation
of the PCV valve that much. manufacturers tend to have only one inlet with a
filter, the reasoning being the crankcase is at a lower pressure and fresh
air comes in and smokey air gets sucked into the intake manifold, If more
fresh air gets in the oil fumes sucked into the intake manifold should be
less.

Keith
55 Californian
57 Rapier