Re: Sunbeam Alpine GT, Fastback 1969

To: "patrick" <patrickh@datacomm.ch>, "Alpine" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sunbeam Alpine GT, Fastback 1969
From: "Jon A." <humbersnipe@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:41:23 -0500
Hi Patrick,

        I guess it depends on what country you're in. The Sunbeam Alpine
fastback sold in England/Europe was a bottom-line model. Very few standard
features. The top of the line model was the Sunbeam Rapier H120. The H120
engine has twin 2barrel Webers and a valve cover with HOLBAY on the top
front. Unfortunately, it's very easy to put the intake setup and valve cover
on a regular 1725, so it's a little difficult to verify which engine it
really is.

       Here in the USA, there were the Alpine and the Alpine GT. The Alpine
had a single sidedraft Zenith-Stromberg carb, the GT had twins. No cars were
officially imported to the US (that I'm aware of) with the H120 engine due
to our emissions laws just going into effect. There could be private
imports, though.

        Either way, if the body is sound, and it runs well, you've got a car
that's a pleasure to drive and practical to repair. An excellent choice for
a vintage daily driver.

Hope this helps,

Jon Arzt
Omaha, NE  USA