Re: Rapier Brake Fluid

To: "Steven Hart" <steven@hartfamily.clara.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Rapier Brake Fluid
From: "Russell & Neola" <maddock_adsl@hotkey.net.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 19:20:11 +1000
If you do decide to go with silicone, the big obstacle is that it is in no
way compatible with conventional brake fluid. You would need to remove all
trace of the old stuff from your brake (and clutch) system and replace all
the rubber bits.

That's a big job, so probably not an option, unless you're completely
renewing your brake and clutch systems anyway.

Silicone fluid is also expensive.

On the positive side, I understand silicone doesn't absorb moisture so once
you've changed over, you shouldn't need to touch the hydraulic bits for a
long, long time. Because conventional brake fluid absorbs moisture, it's
supposed to be renewed regularly. I wonder how many of us do......?

Russ