RE: Ring and Pinion Swapping

To: RSWiser@aol.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Ring and Pinion Swapping
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:31:40 -0800
Rob wrote,

>Can you take out the whole gear set and replace it with one from a
different
>ratio.  If you do that do you also need to swap the axles?

This you may do.
In fact you can even go outside the "type" gear assembly for which
the axle was originally manufactured.
Example:
Rootes used the same basic axle case design for many cars in many
ratios for a great deal of years.  At least 3 major third member "pumkin"
configurations were used, all of which will bolt into the alpine
axle case.

I have a 4.55 ratio spiral bevel third member from a hid 50s hillman
installed in a SII axle case.  All I had to do is change the spider
gears to match the splines of my axles.

You are still limited to 3.70 to 5.78 ratio ranges, which probably doesnt
help.

Jarrid Gross

Can you take out the whole gear set and replace it with one from a different

ratio.  If you do that do you also need to swap the axles?
Rob