Re: Cricket (was Celebrity Alpines, now almost entirely OT)

To: schristie@mail.usfli.com
Subject: Re: Cricket (was Celebrity Alpines, now almost entirely OT)
From: Victor Hughes <hughes@scides.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:32:41 +1100
Yes that's true Scott, and I've yet to resolve whether the Plymouth (a younger
relative of
the Sunbeam Alpine) was named after the bug or the ancient and noble English
game.  Cricket
(the game) was devised by the English to give them something to do in summer in
between the
intermittent rain. It is similar to, and entirely different from, Baseball and
its rules are
utterly incomprehensible to most women, all Americans and some of the players.
Richie
Benaud, former Australian captain, doyen of the cricket commentators (and
Alpine owner!) has
been known to say of a cricket match 'I have no idea what's going on out there'.

Cheers
Vic