Transmission oil

To: "alpine group" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Transmission oil
From: "Andy Devoe" <andydevoe@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 06:07:28 -0800
Hi all,
something to keep in mind about using straight 30 weight oil in our
transmissions/overdrives: That recommendation was made by Rootes in the 1950 -
60s, and a lot of technology has developed since then. We should take a close
look at modern motorcycle oil for use in our transmissions and overdrive
units. 4-stroke motorcycle engines share oil with the transmission and clutch
in a common crank/gear-case. Modern motorcycle oil uses additives that help
prevent breaking down caused by the high loads of gear mesh and wet clutches.
Automotive oil doesn't use these additives because they're not being run
through the transmission.

Honda makes one of the industries leading 4-stroke motor oils (GN4 or HP4
10W40).  GN4 is "normal" and the HP4 is a synthetic/petroleum blend.

Temps were in the upper 70s yesterday.  It was a spectacular day for a drive
in the Alpine!

Andy Devoe
Series II
B9119872