Tires and Thanks

To: Alpine list <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tires and Thanks
From: Lloyd Elliott <lloydel@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 20:51:18 -0800
Thanks for all your advice regarding my transmission and overdrive. (12/31/01)

Following your unanimous recommendations I did not swap out the
non-functioning overdrive but had it overhauled while having the clutch
replaced.  It works great now and certainly adds to driving pleasure.  I
had thought I would only use it for freeway driving, but find that OD 3rd
is especially nice on the back roads.

The next question is what kind and size tires do you recommend?  I have
fairly worn off-brand 165 SR 13 tires on steel wheels (no aspect ratio
specified).  I would like to replace them with something that would give
better handling and performance (no snow or ice here).  What do you
think?  Also will replacements help my speedometer read more accurately --
I'm sure I am not driving as fast as it says I am.  I will get an alignment
when I replace the tires.

Thanks,  Lloyd