Re: [Re: Brakes binding and overheating]

To: "jumpinjan" <servaij@cris.com>, Al Adams <aradams@gte.net>,
Subject: Re: [Re: Brakes binding and overheating]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 11 Nov 2001 14:02:48 EST
On the Hillman's (with 4 wheel drum brakes), there is a small valve in the
Master Cylinder that always puts a small amount of pressure in the brake
system.  So it is possible that something like that is causing your problem-
however, it can't be a Hillman master cylinder as Hillmans use Lockheed
brakes, not Girling.

Jan Eyerman
1959 Hillman Minx Series III DeLuxe
1973 Hillman Avenger DL

"jumpin'jan" <servaij@cris.com> wrote:
Al,
        I have seen this happen before, but not an ALpine. The problem comes
with similar auto models that has disk or drum brakes. If the drum MC
was accidentally replace in a disk brake equipped car, it will match the
symptoms that you described. Doug Jennings told me that some of the
rebuilding kits have extra parts to include both disk and drum models.
The differences (if I remembered correctly) was just a bleeder hole for
the fluid to flow back to the reservoir. The drum brakes have return
springs, so there is no problem pulling the shoes back.
Did you pull the MC apart yet? I would try that and compare the parts.
Maybe a drum MC part got in there by mistake.
Jan
--