Re: Subject: Non-Stock Hardtop

To: Alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Subject: Non-Stock Hardtop
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 08:08:39 -0700
Tom writes:
>Has anyone ever seen a hardtop like this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=596798045&r=0&t=0

Not only have I seen one, I owned one for about 20 years.  Mine was by the
same company, and looked the same, except my rear window was larger and
went all the way to the bottom edge, where there was a metal channel that
held it all along the bottom.

The huge plus of course was that it was so easy and light to lift on and
off and move around - dramatically reducing the risk of damaging the car or
me.  The second huge plus was that since it was fiberglass, it had NO RUST.
The third huge plus was that the rear window was glass and didn't scratch
or tear or turn yellow.

That said, the negative is that it is not remotely as pretty as the factory
hard top.  Its brackets are not fancy or slick like the factory ones (but
do work just fine).  And, it has no rear quarter windows, so visibility is
low back there - though the large, always clear rear window does make up
for that.

I did sell mine a couple of years ago.  I decided my Alpine was in such
nice condition, that (1) I'd never need to drive it with a top on in the
cold, as I like driving with a jacket, scarf and hat, (2) I'd never need or
want to drive it in the rain, and (3) I'd never really put that ugly top on
or scratch the paint with it (even if less likely).

Oh, and Ramon has one on his white Tiger - but his has added port windows
in the rear quarter spots.

Jay