it's long, so delete if you are not interested in Alpine motor

To: "'alpines@autox.team.net'" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: it's long, so delete if you are not interested in Alpine motor
From: "Almjeld, Paul" <PaAlmjel@dwu.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:37:55 -0500
Hi all:

My 1725 engine was rebuilt this summer.  I finally got it back in Ol' Blue
this past weekend.  Here's the mystery:  The engine will start, but runs
only with power on cylinders 1 and 2 --------- 3 and 4 have minimal power -
you can pull off the plug wires on 3 & 4 while running and there is very
little change in rpm.  I need to run partial choke and keep rpms at 2000 in
order to keep the engine running.  I suspect this is due to the significant
drag on 3 & 4.  I have changed spark plugs, plug wires, reset the valve gap,
checked and rechecked the timing - all to no avail.  I blew out the gas
lines.  I removed the manifold to insure there was no blockage in the
manifold or in the cylinder head.  I have a nearly full gas tank.  I have to
admit, that after 30 years of Alpine ownership and successfully dealing with
a variety of challenges, I am stumped!

compression - 175 or so on all 4 cylinders

valve gaps set cold to 15 thousands on all valves - I've done this before so
that I'm in the ball park to get the engine started - then when properly
warmed up I reset to factory specs.

ignition spark - normal as far as I can tell - it will shoot a gap over an
inch long - Pertronix ignition w/Pertronix coil
Autolite plugs - new condition - plug wires in new condition - new
distributor cap - even tried an old one - no difference

timing - about 7 degrees advanced - starts readily - even on 2 cylinders!

fuel distribution through a Weber 32/36 and electric fuel pump.  All lines
cleaned, fuel flow is excellent to the carb.
gas tanks are nearly full of premium gasoline

checked the valves while engine was running - there is up and down motion on
all intake and exhaust valves.  Rechecked the valve gaps with pistons at TDC
before compression stroke  (did this on each cylinder)

what am I missing?????  This is really frustrating as the distributor,
plugs, plug wires, manifold and carb were removed from the spare engine I
pulled out of Ol' Blue.  It was working just fine when I shut it down and
they were only off an engine for an overnight.   I am stumped!

Dr. Paul Almjeld
Department of Music
Dakota Wesleyan University
Mitchell, SD   57301