SUNBEAMS GATHER AGAIN SUNDAY October 28, 2001

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: SUNBEAMS GATHER AGAIN SUNDAY October 28, 2001
From: "" <davidkellogg@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 00:55:49
Northeast Sunbeam Folk,

  We're going to gather at the Amherst, New Hampshire CAR FLEA MARKET on
October 28th, the last Sunday of the month.

  The event sports a wide variety of vehicles and vintages from Model T's to
some outstanding custom cars.  Yesterday, for example, you *could* have
bought a Corvair convertible, a handsome restored Model A convertible, or a
Packard one fifty, the two door drop-head.  And almost everything from
Doodlebugs to Darrins were on hand, too.  The spectator parking lot is
almost as interesting as the Car Corral, too. One of the most distinguished
cars yesterday was the 1937 Packard dual cowl phaeton.  And there was a
fully steel bodied 1941 Willys gasser in canary yellow which made a
wonderfully rorty note when it left the field.

  Here's the story:  while there were still cars and booths open by noon,
the fullest experience of the show is to be had between 6:30 and 8 AM.
That's *early* for people with long travel time or WAF (wife acceptance
factor) to cope with.  So I need to know what to do about setting a time to
meet.

  My plan is this:  have an early meeting time for those who can make it,
say 7:30 AM.  Then have a second rendezvous time for later-comers, perhaps
10:00.  AT BOTH TIMES WE WILL MEET AT THE SNACK BAR (long RED building), AT
THE END WHICH IS *CLOSER TO THE ROAD*

  After viewing the show to everyone's satisfaction, we will caravan to a
lunching site, eat together, and then drive to a nearby (20 +/- miles or so)
park destination to view the sites, have a group picture, and disband for
the day.

  SUGGESTIONS:  IF you are interested in parts, DO WHAT YOU NEED TO DO TO
*COME EARLY.*  I found a fellow yesterday who had the entire rear suspension
(rear end, springs, drive shaft, hubs and spinners) from a Series IV,
including a couple of other Sunbeam bits, and he couldn't give them away.
There was a roll bar I could have used for one of my race cars, and a racing
seat, too, all for small money.  It's not always like that, but I also found
at least one pair of really nice aluminum wheels which fit Mustang II --with
tires-- for $25 apiece.

  BRING A SNACK Like granola bars or fruit which you can easily carry with
you on the field.  Wandering around in the sun made me hungry.

  BRING A CAMERA  Even if you don't see a 250 GTO, you *will* see something
which appeals to your eye.  And some of the characters are photogenic, too.

  A backpack is useful for carrying parts around without having to get
filthy; a plastic trash bag makes the process easier on your backpack.

  If you somehow get snagged into looking at a car, bring a magnet --the
bargain bondo-sensor.  It can answer a lot of questions without a single
word being exchanged.

  THIS WILL HAPPEN *UNLESS THE WEATHER FORECAST IS HORRIBLE*  Last time we
were snowed out; that's not likely to happen again, I hope.  So get in touch
with me at this address with suggestions and I will send directions when I
know who needs them.

  PLEASE PASS ON WORD ABOUT THIS TO THOSE WHO ARE NOT ON THE NET.

  Let's get together to celebrate Autumn in New England!

  IMPORTANT!! REMEMBER TO SET YOUR CLOCKS *BACK* ONE HOUR... or you really
*will* be early.

  Cheers,

  David Kellogg (781) 424-9254 for those without net access

  TE/AE New England Fall gathering Coordinator