Re: [Flame Traps]

To: Ron Tebo <tebomr@cadvision.com>, Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>,
Subject: Re: [Flame Traps]
From: Jan Eyerman <jan.eyerman@usa.net>
Date: 15 Oct 2001 13:02:57 EDT
The "flame trap" is a small cylinder that kind of looks like a large, fat fuel
filter. It is simply a small can with a wire gauze (like a piece of steel
wool) in it. It stops a back fire from the carb from igniting all of the gas
and oil vapor in the crankcase.  A PCV valve works in the same way except that
it is an actual valve that is sucked open by engine vacuum, whenever engine
vacuum stops, a spring closes the PCV valve.  When there is a backfire,
pressure momentarily builds up in the intake manifold (and thus there is no
vacuum) and this closes the valve.

To do what you what you want to do, you need a hose from the crankcase
breather pipe to one of the air cleaners.  Or, drill a hole in the intake
manifold, tread it and screw in a PCV valve.

I have not seen a flame trap for sale, but if you can find a junked Sunbeam
Arrow or '69 Alpine GT, you will find one on the hose that runs from the
aircleaner to the valve cover.

Jan

Ron Tebo <tebomr@cadvision.com> wrote:
Jan:

I have a Series I (with Series II engine and twin Zeniths) and would
like to install positive crankcase ventilation. Can you tell me what the
"flametrap" you mention looked like, or how it was constructed? I have
never seen one and would like to get one if they are available (or make
one if they are not).

Ron Tebo