Alternator Wiring Change

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Alternator Wiring Change
From: Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 13:34:02 -0800
I previously suggesting wiring a Nissan/Mazda alternator the way that three
different shops suggested - where the "S" wire gets looped over to the "B"
post - that's even the way that the Nissan wiring diagram shows it's done
on the actual car.  But, I found that this causes a discharge on the
battery while the car is parked.  On my car, with a new battery, after
sitting for barely 2 weeks, it was enough to zap the battery (unless there
is something else I'm not aware of).  I have now run that "S" wire to keyed
power on the fuse box.  For what it's worth, my ammeter, which was running
at about 4 to 5 amps is now barely barely over 0 (with the new correctly
wired ammeter - though that begs the question of if there is a "correct"
way with an alternator since a voltmeter would be more appropriate).

Jay