Hardtop Weatherstrip - Doorglass

To: alpines <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hardtop Weatherstrip - Doorglass
From: Ron Tebo <tebomr@cadvision.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 07:38:21 -0700
I'm having a problem with my hardtop. I think I have a Series I hardtop,
(aluminum with "wraparound" rear light) but am not sure. However,
installation is quite tight front to back, and there is a gap of about 1"
over the top of the door glass (with window fully rolled up) - and a
little less  toward the rear of the door glass. I tried to install the
weatherstrip supplied by SS (a sort of J shaped piece of thin rubber)
and something similar had been used and residue left under the retaining
strip. However, no matter how I try to install it, this weatherstrip
seems completely useless.

The parts manual shows the weatherstrip being similar in cross-section
but with a joint where the hook of the "j" ends on what I have.

I thought that the gap might be due to the hard top buckling up due to
tight installation (I have replaced the windshield and I'm not sure
about the angle), but the weather strip at the rear is actually outside
the glass and totally ineffective.

My questions are: Do I have the wrong weatherstrip? Is there something
that some of you have used as a replacement that works? Or, am I going
to be forced to take off the windscreen frame and change the angle somehow?
 (I don't think this weatherstrip will work anyway).

Ron Tebo - Series I - B9000627