Re: aztec

To: "Berghult, Bob" <bob.berghult@lmco.com>
Subject: Re: aztec
From: Victor Hughes <v.hughes@student.canberra.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:23:06 +1000
That's a long story Bob.  The P76 was the last gasp of Leyland Australia which
of course had evolved from the various incarnations the Nuffield and
Standard/Triumph parts of the British Motor industry in this country.  It was a
largish sedan (and coupe) produced to compete with the Holden/Ford
Falcon/Chrysler Valiant cars which dominated the Australian market at the time
(early 1970's).  It was front engine/RWD powered by either 2.6 litre six or 4.4
litre V8 (ex Rover) and relatively light for its size so it went ok and was
probably more fuel efficient than its competeition.  Stopped and handle OK
to........ BUT it was undeniably ugly and obviously quite large at the time of
the first fuel crisis.  Like other BMC/Leyland products it had a reputation for
poor finish and unreliability.  It did not sell well and eventually sent the
company broke.

There are still some P76 lovers out there and I expect to get some hate mail
over this but that's how I saw it at the time.  I still believe it to be a
genuinely car. With most controversially styled cars, you hate them at first,
then get used to them over time.  Like the fat-assed Celica, or the XJS Jag.
But 25 years on the P76 is still ugly.

Try this site for pictures - however they tend to flatter it - it is much worse
in the 'flesh'.

http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~coporal/

Cheers

Vic