Re: Front Brake Calipers

To: carlmcle@saturnnet.com, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front Brake Calipers
From: "J Arzt" <humber_snipe@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:48:51 CDT
    Well, the story from the manufacturers is that when the calipers are
assembled, small seal rings (made of unobtainium) are placed around the
passages that connect the two halves. The halves are then placed in a press,
and put under who-knows-how-many tons (tonnes?) of pressure before the bolts
holding the halves together are torqued to who-knows-how-many pounds-feet.
Lockheed, Girling, ATE, and Bendix all basically use the same procedure on
calipers of two-half construction. VW, Audi, SAAB, and Mercedes all have
similar style calipers, and they all say not to separate the halves.

Jon Arzt
Cordel Foreign Auto