Crank Pulley Bolts

To: "Alpine list" <alpines@autox.team.net>
Subject: Crank Pulley Bolts
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlmcle@saturnnet.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 23:23:28 -0700
I seem to recall many months ago someone writing the group about the trouble
finding a wrench to turn the engine over manually. Having just installled
the new race engine in my S1, here's what I did to solve the problem.

The bolt is 1 5/16". That's not a common size: most tool sets won't go over
1 1/4" in 1/2" drive.

A 1 5/16" combination wrench worked OK with the engine on a stand, but that
didn't help much with the engine in the car.

1) Remove the bolt from the engine.

2) Take a hack saw and saw off the end of the bolt used for fitting a hand
crank. This not only lightens the bolt and reduces rotational mass, but can
give you UP TO 40 more horsepower! (Key word... UP TO)!

3) Have a 1 1/4" socket handy. Take your bolt to the grinder and carefully
grind the bolt shoulders until the socket fits the bolt. Be careful
here..... you only have to take off a few thousanth's.

4) Reinstall on engine, and turn it over (by hand) to your hearts content!

    Carl