RE: Howling 3.89

To: Thomas Wiencek <wiencek@anl.gov>, rnanzig <rnanzig@webtv.net>
Subject: RE: Howling 3.89
From: Jarrid Gross <JGross@econolite.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 08:22:03 -0700

>Rob Nanzig put a new differential in his alpine (which I sold to him) The
good news is that it
>runs noticeably faster in 4th gear. The bad news is that once I reach 50
>mph or ease up acceleration I get a deafening howl from it. The only
>relief is to back off on the accelerator completely or pop it out of
>gear and coast. Does this indicates a worn ring and pinion?  Can you tell a
worn ring and pinion by looking at it?  >Any help will be appreciated.
>Rob- I sent this to the Alpine discussion group.
>------------------------------

Could be the gears, but then again it could be bearings too.

A worn ring and pinion should be easy to spot, inspect the faces of each
tooth, and look
for irregularities in the shiny patterns on the teeth.  Use prusian blue oil
paint
on the gear faces, and verify that the shimming is correct.
This procedure is in the WSM XXX manual.

If the gears look good, gear bolts are tight (You remembered this right?)
the gears are setup properly, then the howl is probably bearing related.

Jarrid