Re: ford/firestone

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: ford/firestone
From: rgibbs@pacbell.net
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2000 17:59:51 -0800
Victor Hughes wrote:

> Fair enough, then I stand corrected.  Bouquets to Ford for doing the right
> thing, brickbats to Firestone.
>
> Vic Hughes

Not sure it is that clear cut.  Note that I have not been following this
case all that closely, but here are a few thoughts. There is a record of
correspondence between Ford and Firestone on the tire pressure that
should be maintained in the tires.  Firestone specified a higher
pressure (around 32 psi of memory serves).  Ford specified a lower
pressure (around 26 psi if memory serves) because the Ford testing
revealed that at the higher pressure: 1) the ride was significantly
rougher, and 2) the vehicles exhibited a nasty tendancy to flip over
more readily.

Now we all know that a higher pressure results in less sidewall flex and
lower heat build up which increases tire life. So the question is: if
the tire supplier specifies a specific pressure, and Ford then mounts
the tires and specifies a lower pressure, who is responsible for
shortened tire life?

Makes for an interesting question.

-Roger