Re: [6pack] Engine guys?

To: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Engine guys?
From: im sloane <im_sloane@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 02:03:41 +0000
Hi guys, Need to post the final solution, but it ain't pretty. One thing
learned was that the bearing caps can go on the wrong way. I don't think the
internet instructions I was following mentioned that at all. However, I began
to realize that the top front bearing must be the problem. I thought I'd take
it back out and see if I could get it in right. Well, getting it out was
harder than expected, and basically had to destroy it with vice grips to ever
get it out. Ordered new set and tried to be more careful on the top one. Had a
lot of trouble getting it in the last quarter inch. I doubt I had the first
one 100% in all the way. The other two had popped in so easy, I just never
noticed the last one wasn't going all the way in. Then (of course) I put the
cap on backwards the first try, screamed some bad words, took it back off and
tried it the other way and finally I could tighten it up without binding the
crank.
This all was a low-tech attempt raising hot oil pressure. So I've done all the
bearings. No I didn't use any Plasti-gauge, just replaced them with new STD
bearings and hoped for some improvement. I think it's a little bit improved,
but not what I hoped for. I've got about 50lbs on startup, but when it's hot
about 25, and drops to about 5 at idle. However it will build back up to 25 at
speed, and I don't think it would do that before. Took it on a 200 mile trip
today, and nothing fell apart.
Does the good 50 lbs at startup indicate the pump is OK, or should I try
replacing the pump? I'm getting pretty good at taking the pan off and on,
except for that ONE DARN BOLT! (haha - you know the one!)
thanks for any advice,Sloane 72 Spit - this project69 Six

      On Saturday, October 18, 2014 5:39 PM, im sloane <im_sloane@hotmail.com>
wrote:      Hey engine guys,Having problems on the bearings on my Spit. Did
the rod bearings a few monthsago, now doing the 3 mains. All of the bearing
caps were real tight, but I gotthem off, 1 at a time, and finally got the rear
and middle done. Having a heckit a time with the front. Every time I snug up
the bolts at all, no torque, itbinds the crankshaft. I've taken it back off a
dozen times. The top bearing onthe front was very tight, didn't slide easily
around the shaft, but did't taketoo
 much force to push it around. What am I
missing?thanks for any
 help,Sloane