Re: [6pack] Quick ratio steering rack questions

To: jhmdds@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net, 6pack-request@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] Quick ratio steering rack questions
From: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 18:06:06 GMT
Hi, James---
Question #1. I found no good reason for the factory (horn) ground strap wires
to be connected to the pinion plug/cap. I moved these double black wires to the
cross tube bracket stud, between double nuts. The horn works fine, and so I
left the grease fitting permanently connected to this cap. See if this works
for you. The new rack may also has no way to grease it, as delivered. D&T for a
grease fitting here at your own peril!

#2. I don't think the cap/plug is interchangeable with the stock cap. (The QR
plug thread is probably metric and as well as a different diam.).

#3. Don't know what kind of mounts came with the new QR rack. We know the idea
behind the solid rack mounts is less lost motion before the wheels start to
turn with steering input. This also means more steering wheel shock when
encountering road wheel deflections. Your choice here.

#4. I can't picture what's going on here. It would seem that when you get the
proper toe with the wheels, there should be no interference with the shields.
Take a good look at this with the wheels on the ground.

Dick

6pack@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive