Re: [6pack] play in steering rack

To: Al Salvatore <tr6parts@charter.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [6pack] play in steering rack
From: "Sally or Dick Taylor" <tr6taylor@webtv.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 06:17:51 GMT
Al---Taking a shim OUT of the horn ground/ grease fitting bolt at the base of
the steering shaft will actually tighten up this shaft, but do little in
removing play in the rack. You need to be sure the rubber mounts at the end of
the rack are pushed to their outboard limits. These are the ones held in place
by the u-bolts. (Loosen the u-b's and push them outward as far as you can,
while tightening the u-b nuts). If these rubber has deteriorated, they can be
inexpensively replaced. Some owners use the all aluminum mounts.

Once this is done, recheck for play in the tie rod ends. Also look at all of
the steering shaft couplings by standing outside the car and turning the
steering wheel back and forth, with the road wheels on the ground.
There's several places where play can develop and be corrected.

Dick