Re: [6pack] Suspension adjustments/Ride height

To: Andrew Packard <apackard68@att.net>, "6pack@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [6pack] Suspension adjustments/Ride height
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 11:26:38 -0700
        Andy:

        Are all your tires the same size? If you have a mixed set of brands,
or (horrors!) mismatched sizes, you should correct this before doing anything
drastic. Be aware that mixing brands, even though they are the same size, can
get you into trouble. Same with tires that have significant differences in
mileage.
        When you installed your RatCo frame, did you use new bushings in your
rear trailing arms? This is far and away the most common source of leveling
and sag issues on the car. The original bushings are highly stressed, and
deform over time, letting the suspension settle with the driver side settling
more due to the extra weight (in my case, CONSIDERABLE extra weight). If you
replaced the bushings, did you use urethane? The new bushings from the big
three do not seem to last very long, so urethane is preferred.
        If your back end is more level than your front end, then the front
suspension is the place to look. You should verify that it is assembled
correctly, as there are many ways to assemble the suspension, only one of
which works. Your DPO could have assembled the front end incorrectly leading
to leveling or camber issues.
        My bet is on your trailing arm bushings. My car leaned heavily to the
left before replacing the bushings. I tried new springs. No dice. Do not
juggle your trailing arm brackets or make any modifications until you are
certain that your bushings are in perfect condition.
        Here is a neat little article on why bushings sag, and how to fix
them.

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Suspension/AdjRS/AdjRS.htm

    Vance