[6pack] GM alternator Upgrade Help Needed

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] GM alternator Upgrade Help Needed
From: "James Henningsen" <trguy@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 20:08:36 -0400
Team:

I have an upgraded alternator (GM 105 amp alternator (Advance auto Part
Number P79193)) installed in my 75 TR6 and am having some problems. The
alternator fits very well as it is the smaller case version.  You just need
to install the correct pulley for your car (3/8 vs =).  The alt fits a 1991
Chevy C1500 454 engine pickup and comes with a lifetime warranty. It has a
standard GM three wire plug adapter.  It was installed by a friend of mine
about 5 years ago and has always worked as installed until recently.  I am
seeking help in identifying where to install the three wires on the Alt GM
plug to the stock harness of a 75 TR6 as I want to install per Dan Masters
recommendation and that the current install may be part of the reason my
alternator is blowing up twice in the last couple of weeks (thank you
lifetime warranty).

I have had a newer positive battery terminal cable installed and I just
cleaned and lubed (di-electric grease) all of the spade connectors and
wiring harness clips that attach at the connector on the cable near the
firewall as I heard that if you have a bad connection there it would blow
the alternator.   I am checking the wiring install per Dan Masters book on
the upgrade, but he lists a two wire plug so I am a little lost.

Can anyone shed light on which wires from the GM three wire cable should
attach to the stock harness wires? I didnt see anything on the 6-pack site.
I am also using Dans recommendation to re-route the stock heavy gauge brown
wire from the new alternator battery post directly to the starter solenoid,
by splicing in 10 gauge wire at the wire end on the battery cable connector
(passenger side).

The three GM wires are brown (small), black (small), and red (large).  They
were installed with the small brown to the brown/yellow for the ignition
warning light (that worked), black was not connected, and the large red wire
went straight from the alternator plug connector to the alternator battery
post which is where the stock large brown wire is now located.  The factory
small brown wire was disconnected.  This doesnt line up with Dans
recommendation, but it is a different alternator than Dan recommended.  Can
anyone please help me with this as I am getting very close to leaving
(hopefully) from Florida on August 1 to head to the TRF Summer Party and am
stuck until I figure this out.  Please email off list if you can help. It
would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Jim Henningsen

Stranded in Maitland, FL