Re: [6pack] 65Mph Wobble

To: Robert Liam Gannon <trsix74@comcast.net>, "6pack@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [6pack] 65Mph Wobble
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:14:49 -0700
        Robert:

        I would have suggested that your wheel bearings are loose, or your
wheels are
out of balance.

        1. Define what you mean by "not loose" when referring to your wheel
bearings.
If you jack up the front end, and rock the wheel in and out from the side of
the car, can you feel any play? If so, I would argue your bearings are loose.
Bentley says that you should tighten the front bearings finger tight, then
back off one flat on the castle nut. I disagree with this, and firmly believe
the castle nut should be finger tight, period. DO NOT back off one flat.
        2. Have you had your wire wheels spin balanced? I know you say that the
steel
wheels have the same problem, but they can be out of balance too, particularly
if you had them balanced with the trim rings removed. My TR7 was TERRIBLE with
this. I finally resorted to standing there while the tech balanced my wheels
with the trim rings in place, and this resolved my TR7 wobble problems. They
would balance them with no trims rings saying "It doesn't matter" when in fact
it *does* matter. I do this on my TR6 as well. I also make sure that I keep
the trim rings on the same wheel that it was balanced with. A felt marker used
in an inconspicuous location is useful here to make sure they do not get
swapped. But I digress.... Have your wheels spin balanced - that is my point.

        Cheers,

        Vance

    Vance Navarrette
    Cogito Ergo Zoom