Re: [6pack] trailing arms

To: James McArthur <jrmcarthur55@yahoo.com>, "6pack@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [6pack] trailing arms
From: "Foster, Stan (HP IT)" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:53:53 +0000
Jim, below is a set of suggestions that I have shared with the list before.
Fitting is otherwise straightforward but I would suggest you use Richards
Nylatron bushes also as they come with shims so you can really get things
solid with no lateral movement.

The only criticism I have heard is that some people don't trust the pivot bolt
to hold the adjustment under extreme load like hitting a pothole. The way
these things get clamped up I find that unlikely and I have never heard of a
case where the pivot bolt has allowed the adjuster to move on its own accord.

Stan

I have a few bits of advice to offer anyone considering these brackets.

1.       When you get them, play with them for  bit. Make sure you
understand what the full range of travel is for the adjusters especially
in relation to the lower "ear" that the adjuster bolt goes through since
that will be the one you will be closest to on the inner bracket. You
wont have to worry about this on the outer bracket since that is going
to be more mid point in the range anyway for most of us.

2.       In his instructions, Richard talks about the stress on the TA
due to the spring and the need to lever the TA into the correct position
as you rotate the adjuster bolt. Take this advice seriously. Don't try
and move the TA just by brute force and the adjuster bolt because the
bracket will bend and the adjuster bolt will bend and it may shear. I
did all of the above. If the adjuster bolt is not moving freely there is
something wrong and even mildly leaning on a socket wrench is going
damage something.

3.       Set the inner and outer brackets close to the end state
position before you install them so you can avoid massive movements of
the TA. Richard suggested having the inners all the way at the bottom
and the outers 1/16th above center and I found this gave me the correct
ride height and was close to the correct camber.

These are great brackets and Richard has been very helpful despite my
ineptitude and  I offer this advice only with the goal of helping others
to make the best of their installation and not to discourage people from
using these brackets.