[6pack] Another seat belt question

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Another seat belt question
From: "Phil Beckman" <pbeckman@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 21:24:41 -0500
Saw the last message about replacement seat belts and that triggers a question
I've had for a while.

I've often considered replacing the belts in my car and the ones Stan
mentioned sound great.  Only one problem.

When I restored my TR6 many years ago now I ended up throwing away the body
and purchasing a new, rust-free body from Texes because the existing body
turned out to be more rust than metal.  The problem I encountered is that the
new body came from a '69 TR6 which never had the inertial type belts.  That
meant no lower mounting hole for the inertial reel.  I put in old fashioned 3
point belts that adjust manually but I've never liked them because they're
such a pain to adjust, especially for a passenger who is expecting modren
retractable belts.

Has anyone ever mounted inertial type belts in a body that wasn't originally
fitted with inertial type belts?  How difficult would that be?  I have to
think it would involve welding a reinforcing plate of some sort down low where
the inertial reel would mount.