[6pack] Blown Head Gasket

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] Blown Head Gasket
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:18:24 -0700 (PDT)
One obvious issue that I haven't seen discussed is which head gasket was on
the car? As most 6 packers know, the late model TR 6 engine has a groove
around each cylinder in the block and requires a late model gasket with a
reenforced (metal) circle around each cylinder that fits into the groove.  If
your engine had an early head gasket on it without the reenforcement
circle around each cylinder this may have contributed to early gasket
failure.

Also, I don't think you need to replace the head bolts unless you are planning
on a high performance application.  I have rebuilt 3 or four engines and all I
ever do is clean the threads with a tap and dye set and reinstall.  I concur
with the suggestion that since you have the head off you might as well have it
surfaced to ensure that it is completely flat.  Since it is a late model motor
with a 7.75 to 1 compression ratio you may as well have the head milled to
whatever specs give you something close to 9.5 to 1.  It's a cheap way to
significantly improve the horsepower of your engine.

Mike Lunsford 1970 TR 6 (9.98 CR)