Re: [6pack] blown head gasket

To: George Loriot <george_loriot@hotmail.com>, "6pack@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: [6pack] blown head gasket
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 15:16:16 +0000
George, milling the head to make it dead flat would be inexpensive as it would
just be a few thou. You could take it to your local machine shop and ask them
to measure it and they can tell you if they can improve on its flatness..

Richard Good published a chart of head thickness and compression ratio but
really you need to CC the head to get the real number.

http://www.goodparts.com/tech_docs/TR6_Compression_Ratio.html

Milling the head to 9.6:1 or so will surely liven it up and even better with a
PI-like cam..

I would personally use new head studs, washers and nuts, they are not cheap
but you don't want one to shear. The studs go in hand tight and you don't want
to use thread locker. If the studs come out when you are removing the head
that is a Good Thing in my opinion. I tend to stick with the Payen gaskets and
no gasket goop on the head gasket. I have nothing bad to say about the cheaper
gaskets and I know others use them without incident.

Follow the torque sequence and re-torque after a few hundred miles.

Stan