[6pack] Toyota 5-speed seal failure?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6 Pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [6pack] Toyota 5-speed seal failure?
From: Joe Merone <jmerone@rocketmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 06:12:27 -0700 (PDT)
I know that new engineered ideas evolve, things are discovered, improvements
are made, etc.,&nbsp;but this is one reason (of a few) that I now regret
installing a&nbsp;Toyota 5-speed in my TR6 last year.&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes,
regret.&nbsp; If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the OD
instead.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
If you are considering the conversion you might want to re-think it.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
Joe Merone
CF18928
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
As Bob Danielson has already answered, it is likely that the tranny flange
moved too far forward and ate the rear seal. The locking collar prevents the
driveshaft from collapsing, but it does NOT prevent the driveshaft from
extending further than it should, which would cause the flange to be below the
minimum distance from the seal. Bob told me about this, as I am in the process
of doing this. After I read his report and email, I found that I could pull the
end of the driveshaft out of the splines. After seeing this, it is off to the
driveshaft shop for me to have one made without sliding splines. You only want
1 slip joint in the assembly, and you have 2.
THANKS, Bob.
Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
Highland Park, IL