Re: [6pack] engine rebuild

To: john doe <rccpl1@yahoo.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [6pack] engine rebuild
From: Ed Bratt <bratt@sasktel.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 11:20:56 -0600
John:

The cost of rebuilding depends upon the condition of the motor.

A few years ago I rebuilt a motor that was found to be all in spec, where
all the crank needed was polishing, and a new set of rod and main bearings
were installed.  I did, however, deglaze the cylinder walls, which were all
in spec, and fitted new rings, a new oil pump, and timing chain and
tensioner; and I ground the valves.

I have also in the distant past rebuilt a motor where the crank was worn so
bad it had to be replaced.  I spite of this the bores were in good shape, so
it could have been even worse.

So, depending upon what you find inside your motor, it can cost a little or
a lot.   Best to tear it down, and see what has to be done, rather than
guess at an estimated cost.

Ed Bratt
Regina, Saskatchewan
1976 TR6