Re: [6pack] Compression Ratio Calculation

To: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] Compression Ratio Calculation
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 09:06:15 -0800
        Stan:

        Actually, if you look at Richard's table carefully, you will see
that a 1974 head starting at 3.550 thickness, and ending at 9.6:1 CR
with a 0.020 overbore (which is what I did) should be milled to 3.416
which is 0.134" thinner. I had my head milled .120", plus had the block
decked 0.010", which takes the effective head milling to 0.130", which
is within 0.004" of what Richard recommends.
        I milled my head based on measuring the volume of the chambers
with a burette, and that is how I came up with 0.120". It was gratifying
to see that my measurements agreed so closely with Richard Good's
numbers.
        The 0.080" number that Roger Williams mentions is based on a
starting compression ratio of 8.5:1 (?).

        Vance