Re: [6pack] TR6 timing Chain Tensioner Question

To: triumph@2simpleusa.com (Tony Gordon)
Subject: Re: [6pack] TR6 timing Chain Tensioner Question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 23:45:16 -0800
Tony---There's probably a better way, but the one designed for the six
engine seems to be adequate. The accuracy of the cam timing should be as
good as the condition of the chain and sprockets allow, as the chain
tensioner is on the back side of things. The spring steel should last
quite awhile, since it's constantly bathed in oil.  No need to worry!

Dick

triumph@2simpleusa.com(Tony Gordon)

Having now completed the tear down, and having got some of the
mechanicals organized, I was looking at the "odd bits and pieces" still
to be dealt with, and have come across some references to a need to
improve the timing chain tensioner ... and I can see why! The standard
bit of bent spring steel doesn't inspire any confidence!
Surely there has to be a better way of providing tension?   I seem to
recall from my experiences with UK 4 cylinder engines (mostly Ford or
Lotus-Ford 4) that spring-loaded hard rubber
blocks were the norm, and that you could

increase the tension to hold timing

at the cost of more frequent timing cover tear downs).
Is there anything better out there, or am I worrying unnecessarily?
Tony Gordon
72 TR6