RE: [6pack] Charging Sytem Not Working - 74 TR6

To: "Marty Clark" <marty.tr6@gmail.com>, "Triumph Email List"
Subject: RE: [6pack] Charging Sytem Not Working - 74 TR6
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:51:20 -0800
        Marty:

        A local auto parts store will be able to get you one, and you
will not need to pay shipping. A Lucas alternator was used on enough
cars that they can be had through the usual supply channels. I paid $90
for a rebuilt one at the first auto parts store I walked into. They did
not have it on the shelf, but they had it delivered to their store that
afternoon.
        Before you buy a new one, make sure your alternator plug is in
all the way. Mine had backed out and that was what killed the charging
circuit. It was my fault as I could see that I had not plugged it in
properly (one of the pins was bent over, which is what had kept it from
going in all the way).
        Unfortunately, they do not take kindly to being operated with no
battery connected, and mine had pretty well fried - so fixing the bent
pin and reinserting the plug merely verified that the alternator had in
fact died. Just call me "Lucas killer".

        Vance