Re: [6pack] Charging Sytem Not Working - 74 TR6

To: Marty Clark <marty.tr6@gmail.com>, Triumph Email List
Subject: Re: [6pack] Charging Sytem Not Working - 74 TR6
From: Todd Bermudez <red_tr250@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:49:12 -0800 (PST)
Marty,

Could be voltage regulator or a diode, but my guess is
your brushes are worn out.  It's really pretty easy to
swap out the brushes...just need some small
wrenches/sockets.  There's a white "brush pack"
screwed to the back of the alternator.  Remove the
wires from the back of the alternator & the black
plastic cap & you'll see what I'm referring to.  The
voltage regulator is a silver box on the back.  It
comes off with 1 small screw/bolt.  Just make a mental
note of the 4 wires coming off the voltage regulator.
Then undo the screws holding the white brush pack to
the alternator & you'll see the brushes from under
neath.  The brushes are held in by more screws, but
very easy to replace.  I'm guessing they'll be about
1/2 the length of what they should be.    I've done it
on the car for a friend.  Worked great for him.  I
think MOSS sells a set of brushes for just a couple
bucks....unfortunately, the shipping will surpass the
cost of the brushes(magnets on springs).

Oh, disconnect ground prior to doin' this:-)

Cheers,

Todd

--- Marty Clark <marty.tr6@gmail.com> wrote:

> Driving home last night about 9 PM on the freeway my
> 74 TR6's ignition light
> came on. Volts had dropped to a little under 12. I
> turned off the dash
> lights, only thing on at the time except headlights,
> but it didn't make a
> difference that I could see (hey, it was dark). I
> slowed down thinking maybe
> the belt was slipping at 3,500 RPM, no change. I had
> less than 4 miles to
> the house so I wasn't too concerned. Once I got onto
> my block I turned off
> the headlights and drove a block but the volts
> stayed under 12. The battery
> is only a couple of months old. I plan on checking
> the wiring on the
> alternator tonight and the belt but if those check
> out is it most likely the
> alternator died? If so, do I just go to one of the
> big three or is there a
> better vendor?
>
> Marty Clark
> Gilbert, AZ