Re: [6pack] rear engine mount.

To: Ian Breyer <ianbreyer@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] rear engine mount.
From: Robert Lang <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:06:11 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, Ian Breyer wrote:

> Hi all. Does anyone have some advice for the best/easiest way to replace
> a rear engine mount for my 72 TR6 (non overdrive). Thanks.

0. get the car off the ground using jack stands. I like to have the car a
min. of 20 inches from the ground.

1. remove the interior so you have access to the bolts that connect the
tranny to the mount.

2. support the tranny. Note: a non-movable jack is best for this
application.

3. remove the two big bolts holding the tranny to the mount.

4. remove the entire mount to a bench

5. replace the rubber bits

6. installation is the reverse of removal.

Every time that I've tried to cut corners on this job, it's resulted in
taking a lot more than twice as long to complete.

If you don't have a scissor jack, a bottle jack will to. If you don't have
a bottle jack, you can use a trolley jack, but you have to make sure that
it doesn't sag too much while the mount is out. It's okay for the tranny
to sag a bit, but if it sags too much you may hurt the front motor mounts.
And make sure the fan doesn't hit the radiator.

> Ian B

regards,
rml
Consultant            MIT IS&T unix-linux-help |
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489