Re: [6pack] #2 cyl plug fouled

To: jimjcmo@yahoo.com (Jim Jones)
Subject: Re: [6pack] #2 cyl plug fouled
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 12:08:45 -0700
 Jim---Cylinder head removal shouldn't be too difficult, if it is
necessary..(It probably is) But first, I'd check the valve lash on the
odd chance that compression is being lost thru a valve not closing. As
others have mentioned, the problem can best be determined by doing a
leakdown test, as the escaping air will quickly show where the hole is.

Some owners like to install valve guide seals, but this is not the
proper solution in your case.

You can also swap two of the sparkplug wires, just to make sure that the
wire isn't the culprit. (See if the problem follows the wire that is now
on #2)

Dick

jimjcmo@yahoo.com(Jim Jones)

Gang:
    The spark plug in #2 cylinger is fouling and probably
causing my motor to misfire intermittently. The other plugs are normal
light tan in appearance. It seems unlikely that only that cylinder could
run rich. So I'm guessing that oil may be leaking down the valve stem
into the combustion chamber.
    If I'm right, would teflon valve seals be worth considering?
Or do I need to be looking for other causes here?
    I hate the thought of removing the cylinder head.
Shipwright's Syndrome is sure to strike! (9.5:1 head grind, stellite
valves, new springs, new rocker shaft, etc.) Somebody stop me!!!!!
    Jim