[6pack] Re: [TR] Wheel Shimmy

To: <DLylis@aol.com>
Subject: [6pack] Re: [TR] Wheel Shimmy
From: "Alex" <ambritts@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 18:04:25 -0400
I had this annoying situation also. Complete front end overhaul in my
restoration. Steel wheels  (TR6) issue. Always between 50-55 mph. Then I
found the problem. Quite simple and relatively easy to find and fix. The
problem was with the hub itself. Ran a straight edge across the flat of the
hub between the studs. Nice little rocking effect. One wheel out .035" the
other .070" via runout gauge. Removed the hub and had the face turned on a
lathe at work (after removing studs). Replaced them and no shimmy from 0-100
mph. Checked this on my TR3A restoration and found the same thing to a
slightly lesser degree. Applied same lathe work and mounted my new wire
wheels with bias white walls. Balancing done by Steele Motors in PA. Upon
start up and go 0-90mph no shimmy. Just another thing to look for. I have
shared this with a few others who discovered the same thing. Had the hubs
turned and the shimmy went away. Just FYI.
Alex Manzo
72 TR6
59 TR3A