RE: [6pack] Moss supercharging question 2

To: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Subject: RE: [6pack] Moss supercharging question 2
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 16:49:30 -0700
 To all interested in the Moss SC kit(s)

I just got off the phone again with a Moss rep. He  seemed  to know more
than some of the others. At least I got him to tell me how Moss was able
to keep their 9.5:1 motor, using eight lb. of boost, from detonating.

First, he claimed, was their use of a cam with a little more valve
overlap, which we know can bleed off some of the potential cylinder
pressure, at least at low rpms. This theory doesn't square up with my
own findings, tho, as detonation usually (can) starts occuring as boost
pressure starts building.This is long after this bleed-off stops.
(One of those time-to-distance thingys).

More to the point here, is what is not shown as part of their
anti-detonation prevention on their hi-po package. "Moss" (Jason)
admitted to seeing that this hi-po kit had an MSD6-BTM  strapped on the
motor! As mentioned in a previous post, this particular ignition unit is
designed so one can control the amount (%) of spark advance, depending
on the boost pressure it sees!  OK, then. Now I'm sort of happy that
this was uncovered. I'm not particularly thrilled that Moss chose to not
disclose this fact.

The extra price of the upgraded kit is $144. For this one gets the
smaller pulley. Want the super head work and the cam to get the 160 hp?
This costs extra.

Dick Taylor
'73 TR6