[6pack] trailing arm studs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] trailing arm studs
From: Jimandruthhome@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 17:45:29 EDT
Hi,
I know this issue has come up before, but I always thought, "never happen  to
me" so I didn't pay close attention.  Well, it happened to me,  driving down
the Garden State Parkway headed for a week at the shore.   Fortunately, the
lower studs had only pulled partway out when I noticed  excessive camber on the
RR wheel after arriving in Cape May.  A  previous owner apparently had
helicoiled all 6 studs, which held since sometime  before I bought the car in
1982
until last week.  I tried drilling a little  deeper and adding new helicoils.
That seemed to hold, but for insurance I  drilled a 1/4" hole all the way
through the casting from the bottom stud  hole, hogged out some of the
protrusion
on the back side to make  room for a nyloc nut, and through-bolted with a 1/4"
grade 5 hex head  bolt.  Got home yesterday with all intact.

I have spare trailing arms I got for free some years ago.  They seem  fine,
but I wonder.

What is the best way to check the studs for security.

What would be the best approach to strengthening the hold that the  studs
have in the aluminum?

Is there a better thread replacement than helicoil, or one that will work  in
a hole where helicoils have pulled loose?

Is there any reason, other than originality, not to through-bolt at  the
bottom as I did in my shadetree repair?

Is there a hot setup that solves this problem for autocrossers, who must
surely have faced this issue more frequently than sedate  (relatively) street
drivers like me?

Thanks in advance for any advice the list can offer,
Jim Knight
_jimandruthhome@aol.com_ (mailto:jimandruthhome@aol.com)