RE: [6pack] Electric fuel pump set up

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>, Sally or Dick
Subject: RE: [6pack] Electric fuel pump set up
From: Dale <tpdwinch@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 14:23:45 -0700 (PDT)
Vance - Dick

  In all of the messages on this subject the simple answer to your question is
to have a switch that will provide the pump power to function to fill the carbs
as needed from long storage or to use in case the oil switch fails.

  A flip of the switch with the key on fills the carbs. Shut it off car fires
and off you go. No muss no fuss.

  Dale

"Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com> wrote:
  Dick:

It seems that using the oil pressure switch to ground the pump
might suffer from long cranking times after the car has sat for a while.
Do you find this to be the case?
If the ground to pump goes away when the oil pressure drops,
then by definition there is no power to the pump when you turn the key
to start the car. The car would only start by virtue of the fact that
carbs will have fuel in the float bowls. But if the car sat for say, a
week, and the fuel had evaporated, then the car will crank until there
is oil pressure and power to the fuel pump. If you are using the OEM
filter, this could be many seconds. If you run the heavier oils as some
do, then the cranking time would stretch out even longer as it takes
longer to build oil pressure.
Doesn't it seem like an inertia cutoff switch would be easier on
your starter? Or is there something I am missing? It also seems that
this scheme would not work well if your car were injected as some
*blasphemers* have seen fit to do. The car would never start until the
pressure built up enough to kick off the fuel pump.
DON'T start a hostile email thread over the "blasphemer"
comment, please. I am a Luddite at heart, and so feel that if Lucas and
Zenith were good enough for my grandfather, then they are good enough
for me. Personally, I can't understand adding reliable, efficient
technology to the TR6. Not knowing if the car will start, or get you to
your destination is part of the charm, the adventure, the (dare I say
it?) GLAMOUR of driving a real British car. People like me enjoy digging
in the ground with a blunt stick for food, living in trees, as well as
grunting, scratching, and communal grooming. But I digress....
Uh... where was I? Oh, yeah. So am I missing something, or do
you occasionally have long cranking times with the OP switch providing
the ground?

Vance