[6pack] alternator regulator swap

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [6pack] alternator regulator swap
From: Glenn Rattmann <k6na@cts.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 19:54:01 -0700
List,

Problem is:  The red ALT lamp is NOT on when key is ON or START, but
IS ON when the key is OFF or removed completely; this following a new
regulator installation.  If interested, read on.

I noticed that my alternator on a 74.5 TR6 was overcharging.  The red
dash light was behaving normally, but the dash voltmeter would go
into the red zone above 15v when I ran the engine for a couple of
minutes at 1800-2000 RPM (best way to measure, according to Dan
Masters).  My test meter (accurate WaveTek) was showing a little over
17 volts at times under those conditions, measured at battery
terminals.  Seemed like a regulator, to me....

I ordered a Moss 130-290 regulator unit, and a set of brushes.  I had
put in new brushes maybe 2000 miles ago but I figured I'd check them
out when I opened things up...

The brushes looked ok so I put the originals back in.  I installed
the new regulator.  The package is the same, and the 4 wires are the
same color as the original.  But the white wire of the new one had a
push-on spade terminal, where the old one had a screw-on lug.  I
spliced the old lug onto the new wire in place of the push-on style,
and finished the job.  I had made a good drawing of the brush-box,
showing all the colors and connections, so re-assembly seemed straightforward.

Back on the car, fire things up-- ok looks good, at 1800 RPM the
WaveTek shows about 14 volts at the battery terminals, and the dash
meter says "about" the same (Dan says it oughta be 14.6,
usually).  No Alt lamp showing.  But wait-- what's this?  I turn off
the key and the red Alt lamp is lit, a little on the dim side maybe
but lit nevertheless.  That's with the key OFF and pulled out.  I
notice with key ON or in START, there is NO red light.  Nothing to
extinguish as the RPMs go up.

With the key off and removed, there is still a path through the lamp
from the battery somehow.  What is the likely way this path might
have appeared?  Did I reassemble this thing wrong, or get the spade
lugs wrong on the back of the alternator (from car harness), or
what?  Or is there a difference in the Moss regulator...?

Gee, I had a good drawing-- I thought! ;-)

I'm hoping someone else might have seen this gremlin before....

Glenn
San Diego 74.5