RE: [6pack] 3 Wire Oil Pressure Switch Help

To: "Nick Gemas" <gln@worldpath.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] 3 Wire Oil Pressure Switch Help
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 10:11:50 -0700
        Nick:

        It seems as though you have received a reply to this, although
the reply did not make it to the list, perhaps because the footer was
not removed before it was sent.
        Anyway, at the risk of being redundant, here are the
connections:

White/Purpl |     | Black (Gnd)
(ARO Valve)     |     |
             _____

         White/Brn (lamp)

        Blk is shorted to Wh/Brn when the engine is not running. No
other pins should be shorted. I don't trust this however, because the
switch can fail in such a way as to have the Wh/Brn & Blk pins shorted,
so it is not an absolute check of functionality. In my case gently
tapping the switch on my workbench caused one suspect switch to go
completely open, and another tap would cause a different pair of pins to
be shorted.

        Instead, I rely on the following:

        With the key in the run position but the engine is not running,
both the brake fail lamp and the low oil pressure lamp should come on at
1/2 brightness. Start the engine - both lamps should extinguish when the
oil pressure registers on the pressure gauge. Shut off the engine, you
should hear a distinct click from the run on valve about 1 to 2 seconds
after the engine stops.
        If this does not happen, start trouble shooting. In my
experience the oil switch itself is the most likely culprit. I am on my
third one in 3 years. They seem to drop like flies - I think it is
because there is no protection for the internal switch from the
inductive kick back as the solenoid operates - but they could just be
crappy switches.

        Vance