[6pack] Re: Correct Fluid

To: <Jsut4fun@aol.com>
Subject: [6pack] Re: Correct Fluid
From: "John Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 14:56:35 -0400
Hi -

Regarding correct fluid for the clutch system; Any DOT 3/4 brake fluid will
work as will DOT 5 brake fluid. All of these fluids are compatible with the
elastomers in the clutch system.

Elastomers do get old and will wear out eventually.  DOT 5 will not eat your
paintwork if it leaks, while DOT 3/4 will.

If you are adding fluid, you want to add what is already there.  So if you
have a yellowish fluid add DOT 3/4.  If your fluid is purple, then you may
have DOT 5.  If you are not sure what you have or don't know when it was
last changed, you may wish to change it out completely and refill with the
fluid of your choice. I have heard stories of folks changing fluids and then
the seal fail.  The blame is immediately assigned to the new fluid.  I tend
to think that the seals were old and on the verege of failure anyway.

John Cyg.