RE: [6pack] U-joint removal

To: "'james mc arthur'" <jrmcarthur@verizon.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] U-joint removal
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 01:08:12 -0700
Jim,

It's usually a good idea to soak the caps overnight with a penetrant before
tackling this job.

Here's the official 'trick' (published in most of the manuals):  Support the
yoke in the palm of your hand and strike the other side of the yoke facing
up to you with a hammer, hitting it hard in the curved section just beyond
where the caps are located.  Don't worry, nothing will get damaged as long
as you stay away from the cap holes.  As you continue striking the yoke
(again, hard) the bearing cap will begin to creep out and simply fall out.
It's that simple.  I recently did my u-joints in a car that had not been
driven in 25 years.  Even without penetrating oil they came out with no
problem, all four taking about 30 minutes.  This method also applies to the
driveshaft.

Good luck.

Greg
CD6250L