Re: [6pack] U-joint removal

To: jrmcarthur@verizon.net (james mc arthur)
Subject: Re: [6pack] U-joint removal
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 13:02:27 -0700
Jim---There were times when driving the bearing cap out of the yoke was
the way to go. Use a long nose punch with a 3/32" nose to fit this tight
space. Once the shell is out, the cross is thin and loose enough to
wiggle out. Using a torch and penetrating oil can also be necessary. I
use anti-sieze when replacing the bearings, preparing for the next
go-around.

Dick

From:
jrmcarthur@verizon.net(james mc arthur)
        Good day to all listers.....One of the tasks
that I have given myself while the TR is on the jackstands is to replace
the u-joints. In the past, I have done this many times, and never have I
been stumped. Well, I've tried just about everything I can think of to
get these buggers out, but no go. I am working on the axle shafts, but
this may well apply to the driveshaft as well. I have tried using a
drift, the two socket/c- clamp trick, the two socket/ vise trick, heat
on the yoke and vise grip on the cap trick.......NADA. It seems that the
shoulder of the joint bottoms on the yoke and prevents the cap from
being driven all the way out of the yoke. I have thought about cutting
(with a torch) the joint and removing the pieces, but that seems a
little EXTREME. Any ideas/tricks/tips/advice out there??? Thanks in
advance for all replies!.......Jim McArthur CF17672U