RE: Original valve & breather covers paint color

To: Dennis N Culligan <dncullig@us.ibm.com>
Subject: RE: Original valve & breather covers paint color
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 16:58:01 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007, Dennis N Culligan wrote:

> Vance wrote:
> >I have also heard that Ford "Argent Silver" is a very good
> >match. You supposedly can get it from Ford dealers...
>
> This paint *was* a perfect match - Ford dealers stopped
> carrying it years ago - my local dealer said that Ford
> deemed it a "hazardous material".

Hmmm... that might explain the funny looks I got when I was looking fo
this stuff 10 years ago. Actually, I know I bought a can from a For d
dealer in the early '90's, but then I compared that paint to the
Duplicolor (listed below) and never went back. That paint was $14 for an
spray can in '92-ish!

> There are other Argent
> Silver paints that are very close.

I usually tell folks "Duplicolor T229", Argent silver.

It's usually about $4 or $5 at Auto Zone. I have 10 or 20 half-empty cans
in the basement. Perhaps the fumes cause me to forget that I already have
some every time I buy more. Oh wow, man!

:-)

And if you paint the stock wheels, count on using at least 4 cans (6 if
you shoot the backsides which is _not factory_, BTW. But one can is plenty
to shoot the valve cover and the air box at least two or three times.

> Dennis Culligan / 1976 TR6 CF57948U - TR6IUMPH/ Highland.NY

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489