Re: PDWA Seals

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: PDWA Seals
From: "Jerry Shaw" <slowtoaccept@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 14:58:24 -0500
Last time I posted on this I think I called it PWDA, but hey what's a little
transposition of letters. Here's Nelson Riedel's tome on the subject.
http://lotus-europa.com/files/mc%20rebuild.pdf

 I successfully refurbed mine using his techniques after I polished and PC'd
it with clear PC. Looks great. As with Vance, I went down to my local Ace
hardware store. Riedel  recommends ethyline propolene material, as you point
out, but hardware store versions will apparently work with DOT 5. I don't know
much about the difference between Buna (nitrile) and EP but this site says not
to use it with brake fluids on one hand , but says Buna is ok with silcone
oils and greases, so go figure. See
http://www.sisweb.com/vacuum/o-rings/buna.htm Tried my nitrile gloves with
silicone brake fluid w/o melting them.

Quoting from Nelson's article

"I've been told there were PDWAs made with different size cylinders. I have
PDWAs from years '68,'70, '73 & '76 and all have 5/16" cylinders. Three use
O-Ring seals as the lower piston in the photo and one uses the more
substantial seal as the upper piston in the photo. I haven't been able to find
a source for the upper piston seals. The O-Rings for the lower piston are
3/16" ID & 5/16" OD with 1/16" cross section --- O-Ring size # 008.; See
http://www.marcorubber.com/ . Ethylene Propylene (EP/EPR/EPDM) is the correct
material. I understand they are available from American Packing and Gasket Co,
www.apandg.com (713) 675-5271 or (800)888-5223. I bought 100 from McMaster
-Carr for a little over $8."

Jerry